Bike Walk Indian River County, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) coalition of community volunteers. Our mission is "To promote safe bicycling and walking as transportation and recreation for a healthier, more vibrant and connected Indian River County."
What We Do
● Advocacy — Our board and volunteers work with state and local governments to encourage them to construct "complete streets" - i.e., roads that are safe for all users including bicycle riders and pedestrians
● Training — Our team of "League Cycling Instructors" or "LCIs" (individual who have been trained and credentialed by the League of American Bicyclists to teach bicycle safety) develops online bicycle education and provides live bicycle safety training classes to both adults and children throughout our community
● Bike Rehab — Our volunteers collect donated bikes, rehab those bikes, and distribute them to children whose families cannot afford a bike and to adults who do not have reliable access to transportation and need a bike to get to work or school
● Community Partnerships — We partner with other local charities to support their outreach programs. One of our most active partnerships is with the Youth Guidance Mentoring Academy. We sponsor a Bike Mechanics Class for the Youth Guidance students. Our volunteers teach the students how to repair and maintain bicycles using our online Bike Mechanics Course. Each student is given a bicycle to rehab during class. When the students complete the class the bicycle is theirs to keep.
● Community Infrastructure Support - We raise money to install bicycling related equipment in our community such as bicycle repair stations (pumps, tools, workstands, etc.). We have a particular focus on neighborhoods where some residents do not have access to a car and use their bicycles for transportation.